Monday, November 8, 2010

Order of Operations

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction




Question 1 :
Annie has been asked to calculate 1.7 + 6 divided by 2 . She claims the answer is 3.85 . Do you agree ? Explain why or why not .



Answer :
I don't agree because she didn't follow the BEDMAS rules. If she did 6 divided by 2 first, she would of got 3 and her answer would have turned out to be 4.7.



Question 2 :
Put brackets in the following expression to get the largest value possible . What probelm solving strategy did you use ?


Answer:
Do 6.4 divided by 4 to get 1.6. Then do 3 x 2.8 to get 8.4 and then do the final part which is 8.4 +1.6 to get 10.

Click here for more information on BEDMAS
Click here for a video on BEDMAS
Click here for a game on BEDMAS

Sorry for any mistakes or if I forgot anything! Also, sorry if it seemed rushed!


9 comments:

Jennifer Lopez said...

Great job Cyerra, I like the link of where you can learn more about BEDMAS.

liyanah817 said...

Good Job Cyerra!
I like how you said, " Click here for ....."
i found that smart and i also liked that it was in color!

kim873 said...

GOOD JOB CYERRA ! that was really good , and I liked how you put lots of colour into it ! (:

kyia718 said...

Good job Cyerra I like that you put links for games video and more info :)

mikyala8-16 said...

good work cyerra your info realy helped me on how to do it right and not the "farmer" way as mr.isfeld put it!!!:)

Adrian817 said...

GOOD JOB!!! It really helped me more about Order Of Operations

amanda718 said...

Thanks cyerra this helped me so much.P.S. I like how you used color for the important parts.

nikka814 said...

This was really nice! I like it, keep it up Cyerra. GOOD JOB !

jordan718 said...

Good Job!